PEACE LILY GENERAL DESCRIPTION
- The scientific name of peace lily is spathiphyllum wallisii. It is commonly know as peace lily, sapthe flower. It is also know as the white sail plant.
- Peace lily origin is south america. It grows to the maximum height of 18 – 24 inches (45 -60 cm).
- Peace lily is a tropical, striking plant with beautiful foliage, the best part of this plant is that it can thrive in tough times. Peace lily is the top listed air purifying plant for the beginners who necessarily don’t have a green thumb because it is very easy to maintain, which is why it became more familiar and favorable plant to many.
- Its foliage and flowers are very unique and simple and plays a significant role in adding a pleasant and tranquil environment.
SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN BENEFITS Of PEACE LILY
According to NASA and also researches done by many universities and health organisations, peace lily is declared as the best popular indoor air purifying plant which can remove the toxins, mild spores and airborne dust particles easily and efficiently like no other expensive fancy air purifiers can do that job.
Peace lily clean and increases the air quality by removing many toxins, it is a fantastic house plant. Jam the peace lilies in every areas of living space and the surroundings to experience the healthy life style.
The NASA clean air study found that it can remove below mentioned toxins:
- And Ammonia
VARIETIES OF PEACE LILIES
There are nearly 40 varieties of peace lilies, now we are going to see some of the popular and most familiar types often found in many garden areas.
It is the smaller variety and can grow approximately 8-10 inches.
Another great choice for smaller peace lily, ‘wallisii’ has longer and more rippled leaves but ends approximately about 12 inches tall.
MAUNA LOA SUPREME:
Mauna Loa supreme variety is one of the most common lilies sold across the country. It is the medium- sized peace lilies.
It grows much shorter than ‘mauna loa supreme’. However it grows approximately 1-3’tall and has leaves that can reach 1.5′ long, making it a unique choice.
It is the largest variety available, often grow 4-6 feet in height and width.
It is a medium size variety with absolutely attractive and striking variegates leaves like someone splashed white paint all over the leaves.
It is the medium sized variety which has lime green foliage.
ADVANTAGES OF PEACE LILY ARE AS FOLLOWS
- COST EFFECTIVE
- IMPROVES HEALTH
- IMPROVES AIR QUALITY
- SHARPENING FOCUS AND IMPROVES PRODUCTIVITY
- REDUCES STRESS AND CREATE A FEELING OF WELL BEING:
- LOW LIGHT BLOOMER
- LOW MAINTENANCE
HOW TO CARE AND MAINTAIN PEACE LILY PLANT
For every plant to grow healthy and striking it should be provided with proper location, draining system, water, fertilizer etc.
- The peace lily will survive in low-light areas. It cannot take direct sunlight for long periods of time, the leaves will get burnt and discoloration of the foliage will happen like the leaves may turn yellow, may die and fall off.
- Peace lily can still survive in artificial light sources like T5 fluorescent grow lights.
- The plant water intake depends on the seasonal variations. It takes lot of water in summer and during winter it doesn’t need much water. The most common reason that peace lily die due to over watering. Please do moist test before watering, just poke the soil and if the soil is dry then water the plant.
- Some times we find the leaves of peace lily droop down, this is a sign which indicates that it requires water. Always make sure that the soil should be evenly moist but not soggy.
- If possible, use distilled water and rain water which is good to get rid of salt accumulation inside the roots which causes root rot and plant may become weak and die sometimes.
For the plant to grow healthy, standard pot mix is very important. The well draining, aerated and nutrient rich potting mix helps the plant to take adequate water and to drain off excess water. Please make sure the pot we are choosing should also have some holes in the bottom to drain off excess water.
The average room temperature should be 68-80 f. Avoid lower than 55 f/12 c in winter. They don’t take extreme cold, so if the temperature drops below to 45 f, they will fall dead.
- As peace lily plant is not heavy feeder, so fertilize only occasionally. If you have decided to fertilize the plant, make sure that don’t over feed the plant and always follow the instructions. As over dosage can cause the discoloration of the foliage.
- Well balanced liquid fertilizer or all purpose feed is always good. Peace lilies are the plants which need fertilization only during spring and summer. No need to feed at the time of winter as the growth slows down.
- Peace lilies are the plants which often don’t like to get disturbed. Re-potting is only needed once in a year that too when the roots become over grown or crowded and if the plants absorbs more water quickly than ever.
- Always choose the large container to bound the roots properly.
- Peace lilies like to stay in humid areas, as one can add this best air purifying plant to their areas with very low light and high humid rooms like bathrooms.
- As peace lily like humid climates, it is good to use misting sprays to the leaves so that the leaves look more healthy and striking.
- Peace lily plant is very easy to propagate. The simplest way to propagate new peace lily plant is by dividing them.
- New crowns which are grown beside the main plant can be cut carefully and re-potted in the same potting medium.
- Make sure to have many roots bound to the crowns so that they can survive independently when separated.
- The peace lily plant rarely need pruning, if you feel like the plant foliage is drooping severely and observe any discoloration, then you can prune buy it is always better to prune in the initial stages when you notice these signs.
- Pruning helps the plant to look more healthy and attractive.
PEST / DISEASES
- The common problem of this plant is discoloration and drooping of the leaves.
- Brown leaf tips are commonly caused by placing the plant in direct sunlight for long period and also due to over feeding.
- In some cases we also see drooping leaves and this is a sign which indicates the lack of water or low humidity. This can be avoided by misting the leaves or by placing the plant on a tray of moistened gravel.
- Yellow leaves may be caused by over watering, under watering, or old age of the leaves.
- When coming to the pest problems, scale and mealybugs are commonly seen. In the initial stages itself, one should take proper care other wise the pest will happily take up residence on the plant, if neglected. To get rid of this problem, a thorough wipe down of leaves with soapy water or insecticidal soap can be effective in stopping them.
IS PEACE LILY PLANT TOXIC
Peace lily is mildly toxic to humans and pets when ingested. The peace lily contain calcium oxalate crystals which causes skin irritation, burning sensation in the mouth, difficult in swallowing. Keep peace lily out of reach to children and pets.