WHAT IS A SNAKE PLANT?
- The snake plant or sansevieria is popularly known as “mother in laws tongue” and “viper’s bowstring hemp”. It is a member of asparagaceae family. It is scientifically called as sansevieria trifasciata.
- Snake plant is a native of tropical countries like India, Indonesia, and Africa.
- The interesting part of the snake plant is the foliage, it has a striking, evergreen, sword shaped and succulent leaves. Due to its typical features it is listed as one of the best indoor and outdoor air purifying plant.
- In present scenario it is a best choice for apartment dwellers who always have lighting issue. The durability of snake plant is an excellent choice for the beginners who necessarily may not have a green thumb.
- Snake plant can also grow as an ornamental plant, and it is one of the most tolerant plant of all decorative plants as it can survive in most unsuitable growing conditions.
- It is an excellent plant for the forgetful gardener as it can take abuse and negligence.
WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE A SNAKE PLANT?
- According to a report generated by NASA in 1989, the snake plant has been declared as one of the best house plants to enhance the indoor air quality, and the research done by W.H.O (world health organisation) around 4.3 million people die due to poor indoor air quality every year.
- Its high time to make up our mind to improve our indoor air quality in a modest, natural and more efficient way by adding snake plants to our premises.
- Now everyone can badly experience that the “indoor air quality is significantly even more contaminated then outside” and many are still in a dark phase suffering with many issues like nausea, skin rashes, fever etc., all these are the common symptoms of SICK BUILDING SYNDROME (SBS).
- In case of extremely poor indoor air quality, poor ventilation in the house and heat radiations emitted by electronic gadgets and other machinery used for various purposes in our household or in our work areas. As these are playing a very vital role at present and we can’t cease the use of them, in this challenging situation one can overcome the above-mentioned issues like SBS by adding a greater number of snake plants to our premises.
- One can never deny the reality that the air pollution as reached the highest pinnacle level due to the over growth of population, deforestation, industrialization and urbanization etc., in these circumstances many are approaching the more hazardous way to overcome by using various costlier air purifying sprays, fresheners, candies and other contraptions for their homes and offices these are badly more adverse as they emit all the dangerous gases that penetrate into our body and cause very serious health issues. To overcome from the filthy way of living one should add snake plants to their premises.
- The fact is that this is one of the best natural air purifying plant with the great properties like it helps in absorbing the toxins from the air and increase the quality of air by releasing the oxygen even in night times. As most of the plants release carbon dioxide during the night time snake plant releases oxygen at night also that is the reason it is considered as the BED ROOM PLANT, as it increases the sleep quality.
|Snake Plant placed in Bed Room|
- The paharpur business center in NEW DELHI is declared as one of the healthiest building in the city having snake plants in abundance along with other indoor plants.
- NASA EFFICIENCY RATING IS 7.7/10.
SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN HEALTH BENEFITS OF SNAKE PLANT:
ABSORBS CARBON DIOXIDE:
- The snake plant helps in removing the toxic carbon dioxide from the air as these causes many health problems.
- Apart from many plants snake plant has a unique property as it can remove carbon dioxide during night and release oxygen which is the best thing to add the snake plant as a bed room plant.
- As the benzene is the toxin which is generated by automobiles, cooking system solvents like gas and charcoal.
- The person exposed to benzene suffer from headaches, nausea, vomiting and other allergy symptoms. To overcome one should add snake plants which are natural cures with less expensive in healthy way.
|SNAKE PLANT IN BUNCH|
Snake plants absorbs the toxic formaldehyde which is emitted from smoking, cooking, paints, cosmetics, wooden furniture etc., as these are the main sources of formaldehyde, we can overcome these by adding a snake plants to your homes in the filthy areas.
The report generated by the department of health and human services of U.S.A. xylene is produced from petroleum products and the other sources are poor ventilation conditions, paints, wooden furniture. Therefore, snake plants are useful to come out of this issues by absorbing the xylene from the surrounding areas.
- The snake plant helps in removing the toxic toluene from the surroundings as these causes many diseases like central nervous system dysfunction.
- Children exposed to these pollutants suffer from developmental problems and reproductive problems in females, allergic reactions in upper respiratory tract and eyes.
- The major sources of toluene are gasoline, solvents in paints, plastic and soda bottles, cosmetics and other organic chemicals.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF SNAKE PLANT?
RELEASES OXYGEN DURING NIGHT:
- Snake plant is the unique plant of all various oxygen producing plants as it converts a lot of carbon dioxide to oxygen at night, with this typical feature it is selected as the best bed room plant.
- One can survive in an air sealed room if you have 6-8 snake plants as they improve the quality of the surroundings.
- Snake plant can absorb carbon dioxide during night also because their ability to perform a type of photosynthesis called crassulacean acid metabolism(cam) and it is also called as dark reaction.
HARD TO KILL AND EASY TO MAINTAIN:
- Snake plant care and maintenance is very less expensive, these plants can tolerate abuse and can be neglected for weeks, yet they can survive and look striking with their succulent leaves and architectural sword shape foliage.
- The snake plants are easiest plants to look after and in turn they will reward you with natural clean and quality air adding beauty to your room. It is a tough plant which occupies the less space, can also be placed as table or desk top plant in homes and offices.
- It is a top listed starter plant with minimum maintenance and can survive without water for a week.
- It can be used as an outdoor plant in warmer environments and as an indoor plant, easily adapting to cooler climates.
NATURAL AIR PURIFIER:
- According to the researches conducted by many universities they found that it removed four out of five main toxins present in the air, which are very toxic and causes very hazardous effects to human body when penetrated. This plant removes toxins from surroundings such as carbon dioxide, benzene, xylene and toluene.
- SNAKE PLANT IS CHEAPER, NATURAL, AND VERY EFFICIENT in removing the toxins and making the air pure and fresh to inhale.
- Snake is also used as a bathroom plant as it can remove the toxins and stinky odors from the bathrooms specially snake plant also removes toxins like formaldehyde which is emitted by the fancy and chemical based cleansers. And it effectively replaced all fancy expensive air filter systems.
|SNAKE PLANT IN BATHROOM|
BATTLES SICK BUILDING SYNDROME:
In case of extremely poor indoor air quality and poor ventilation one may observe the common symptoms like sneezing, coughing, headache, dizziness, watery eyes, skin rashes, nausea, fever, respiratory clog, hypersensitivity etc., if they observe these symptoms we must make up our minds and add snake plants to your place which is the best natural remedy to get out of the sick building syndrome, snake plant can treat it very effectively and efficiently.
OXYGEN BOOSTER DURING NIGHT:
- As snake plant is one the ornamental plant it not only adds beauty to the surroundings, it is one of the best indoor air purifiers, it enhances the air quality by reducing the risk of ill health.
- It detoxifies the indoor air during the night with its unique rich oxygen supply that progressively enhances the quality of sleep.
|SNAKE PLANT IN BUNCH|
FENGSHUI AND PLACEMENT:
- According to fengshui, if the snake plant placed in specific corners it will bring positive energies in the form of eight virtues health, wealth, prosperity, longevity, intelligence, beauty, strength, art, and poetry.
- The Chinese used to grow this plant in their houses as a valuable house plant, as a belief that the eight gods conferred their eight virtues as gifts to all who possessed this plant. They placed the plants close to the entrance with in their homes for enabling the eight virtues to enter according to the fengshui placement.
- The snake plant is a perfect plant in removing the negative energies or to remove stagnant energies with an upward growing sword shape chi. Many prefer to place the snake plant in the south and east corners.