- The spider plant botanical / scientific name is Chlorophytum Comosum.
- Chlorophytum Cosmosum often called as Spider Plant, Airplane Plant, Ribbon Plant, Spider Ivy, St.bernards’s lily and Hen & Chickens.
- It is native to tropical and southern Africa. Because of the proven benefits, it became popular in other parts of the world including western Australia.
- There are many species of spider plants among all “variegated forms” are most popular.
WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE A SPIDER PLANT AT YOUR HOME
- Healthy living not only includes healthy diet and also one should add clean air to breathe. As development and pollution both are going hand in hand, it is very important to add Air Purifying Plants.
- The rate of Indoor Pollution is also increasing along with Outdoor Pollution. Now this became a very problematic issue that every person is going through. Its high time that every person should pay for it.
- As everything begin at home first one should start adding air Purifying Indoor Plants to their home, offices etc.
- In present situation, indoor air is also polluted as equal to out door and the common causes are cooking and heating (microwaves, cookers etc..) air conditioners, furniture, cleaning liquids and many all these are generating very dangerous gases and also chemicals which are also cancer causing in some cases.
- Adding indoor air purifying plants helps in absorbing harmful gases and also adds serenity and an aesthetic sense to our home. By taking all the above mention issues into consideration one should and must definitely add indoor air purifying plants to there living.
- It is common that everyone want to get rid of the polluted air and get good quality air for there breathing at least.
- Across the world, many are below middle class economically and most of them cant afford for spacious house and not even own an independent house. Keeping all these aside, apartment culture increased like anything. In spite of having all these issues for which we are helpless and one should take this issue as a challenging through positive way by adding best indoor air purifying plants in our rooms.
- Spider plant will look great when it is hanged in a basket rather than placing it as a table or desktop plant.
SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN HEALTH BENEFITS OF SPIDER PLANT
According to 1989 NASA study revealed that several plant species of house plants are capable of removing harmful chemicals from the air .The spider plant is top performer.
Other researches has proven that spider plant is able to remove 98% of carbon monoxide in the air of small room.
Apart from removing Carbon Monoxide, it has the ability to remove toxins like Formaldehyde, Benzene, Trichloroethylene, Xylene, Toluene and Ammonia.
- It is one of the most toxic chemical found in indoors. It is found in plywood, particle board, foam, floor coverings, adhesive binders, carpets, tobacco smoke and most common household cleaning products.
- It is found in homes and business places. Mainly found in dry cleaning, Ink, Paints, Varnishes & Lacquer.
- It is found in gasoline fumes, cigarette smoke, synthetic fibers, ink, plastics, detergents and oils.
- By removing all these toxins, the spider plant create more oxygen in the home.
- The benefits of Spider plant associated with the human health are enormous.
- It is capable to absorb the carbon monoxide gas which is colorless, odorless and tasteless toxic gas. This gas is hazardous and causes lot of damage to humans, the person exposed to these gases are affected with some critical health issues like Headache, Nausea, Weakness, Dizziness, Confusion and Exhaustion.
- In order to avoid the above mentioned health issues, adding spider plant to hospitals, hospital rooms, offices, homes, crowded places and public areas. One can get immense health benefits naturally.
- Wherever the spider plants are, the surrounding atmosphere will be in moderate conditions.
- Many researches has done and experienced proven benefits of spider plant practically.
- According to the researches at Kansas State University, they compared the patients rooms without plants and patients room with spider plants. By doing this comparative research, they observed that the rate of recovering increase soon with Less Pain Medication, Lower Heart Rates and Blood Pressures, Stress Levels also came down, patients experienced Less Fatigue, Anxiety and released faster to their homes.
- The dutch product board for horticulture commissioned a workplace study, they also discovered the amazing benefits of spider plant. By noticing this, they have added this plant to their office for setting health issues like fatigue, colds, headaches, cough, soar throat and flu like symptoms.
- In another study by Agriculture University of Norway, they got to experience the proven benefits like sickness rates fell by more than 60% in offices with these spider plants.
NUTRITIVE VALUE OF SPIDER PLANT
- Many of us do not know that spider plant is highly nutritious compared to most of the other vegetables, it is high in vitamins and micro nutrients.
- Spider plant contribute to a healthy diet for many Rural Africans with limited food budgets.
- It is known to have high levels of Beta-Carotene, Vitamin C, Calcium, Protein, Magnesium and powerful Anti Oxidants.
- As an added bonus, this plant is also considered as a safe house plant if you have pets in the house.
- In some areas, they serve it as a nutritious meal by boiling the leaves and Marinating them in sour milk for 2-3 days. This will improve eyesight, provide energy and cure Marasmus (Extreme malnutrition and emaciation especially in children).
- It is a highly recommended for pregnant and feeding women.
- Traditionally, eating the spider plant was used to reduce dizziness and the time taken in labor for pregnant woman. It will help to regain normal health after child birth.
- Spider Plant also used to cure migraine, vomiting, Diphtheria, Vertigo, Headache, Pneumonia, Stomach problems and is fed to boys after circumcision.